Beechwood Brainery is a centre dedicated to providing comprehensive programming fostering mental wellness, academic support and social responsibility for youth & teens.
Our staff conducts wellness checks daily and provides additional mental health support when needed. We model flexible thinking, problem solving, acceptance and inclusion and foster respectful relationships. The Brainery mindset is a welcoming and safe environment for both students and staff.
Our staff conducts academic assessments using natural environment testing and qualitative and quantitative measurement tools. We utilize these assessments to develop individualized academic plans that cover missed concepts and various learning styles and supports. We help facilitate online education through the WRDSB/WCDSB, utilizing a students feeder school to ensure the delivery of accredited high school courses. As an inclusive environment, we welcome all methods of communication and accommodation, we value working in collaboration with parents/guardians and additional service providers to create a synchronous team approach.
The Brainery is dedicated to creating an inclusive environment for everyone, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, marital status, and political affiliation as well as gender expression, mental illness, socioeconomic status or background, neuro(a)typicality, or physical appearance.
We’re united by the Brainery’s values, and we celebrate our unique differences.
We believe that articulating our values and accountabilities to one another reinforces that respect and provides us with clear avenues to correct our culture should it ever stray. We commit to enforce and evolve this code as our team grows.
Every one of the Brainery team is expected to work smart and be considerate of others, and contribute to a collaborative, positive, and healthy environment in which we can all succeed.
- Be supportive of staff and students, both proactively and responsively
- Be inclusive
- Be collaborative
- Be generous in both giving and accepting feedback
- Be kind
The Brainery team is committed to providing a welcoming and safe environment for all. Discrimination and harassment are expressly prohibited. Furthermore, any behavior or language that is unwelcoming—whether or not it rises to the level of harassment—is also strongly discouraged.
The Brainery values social justice programs and volunteer opportunities.
We encourage students to participate in extracurricular activities that the Brainery offers, these programs change and growth throughout the year. Some examples include:
- NEST Kenya – www.nestkenya.org We build and maintain the website for NEST, who are dedicated to rescuing, educating and reintegrating vulnerable orphans and children from the streets and Dandora dumpsite in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Waterloo Region Track 3 Ski School – volunteer opportunities to become a ski instructor for children & youth with physical & cognitive disabilities. The program is 8 weeks every January. Currently not running January 2021, due to COVID
- WoodWorking – learn the basics of working with wood, tools and safety. Create projects from start to finish, beginning with planning and preparing
- Technology & Robotics – teaming up with local companies Deep Trekker & STEMotics to explore robotics and STEM activities at the Brainery
- Gymnastics – friend of the Brainery, Coach Teagan from Spectrum Gymnastics offers inclusive recreational gymnastics
- Local professional guest speakers – we welcome local professionals to share insight into their careers, education and life experiences to help our students gain perspective and learn about interesting careers in their area of interest
Our programs are always growing and expanding, we appreciate your ideas & suggestions.
Part-Time & Full-Time Day Programs available. For programs fees see tuition.