Beechwood Brainery is an elementary private school dedicated to providing comprehensive programming fostering mental wellness, in-depth teaching and social responsibility.
Our Grade 5-8 Program offers a safe learning environment with small class sizes that follows COVID-19 safety protocols
Only 10 spaces are available. Part-Time & Full-Time Day Programs available. Before & After school care is available. Please email email@example.com for registration and more information.
Mental Wellness Supports
Our staff conducts wellness checks daily and provides additional mental health support when needed. We model flexible thinking, problem solving, acceptance and inclusion and foster respectful relationships. The Brainery mindset is a welcoming and safe environment for both students and staff. Our small school size allows us to be flexible in our programming to meet the needs of unique circumstances.
Our staff conducts academic assessments using natural environment testing and qualitative and quantitative measurement tools. We utilize these assessments to develop individualized academic plans that cover missed concepts and various learning styles and supports, based on the Ontario Ministry of Education Elementary guidelines.
Our curriculum includes core subjects such as: Language, Mathematics, Science & Technology, History, Geography, Visual Arts & French, with limited courses in Physical Education due to building constraints (referrals/recommendations for local recreational sports programs are available!).
Our Grade 5-8 Program also provides individual social, emotional and personal growth goals to foster developmental milestones. We meet our students where they are developmentally, and work on school and life readiness skills needed for future success.
As an inclusive environment, we welcome all methods of communication and accommodation, we value working in collaboration with parents/guardians and additional service providers to create a synchronous team approach.
The Brainery is dedicated to creating an inclusive environment for everyone, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, marital status, and political affiliation as well as gender expression, mental illness, socioeconomic status or background, neuro(a)typicality, or physical appearance.
We model & teach the foundation of social responsibility by using an anti-oppressive approach in all of our programs. We utilize opportunities of growth and awareness to further model our mindset of acceptance and inclusion.
We’re united by the Brainery’s values, and we celebrate our unique differences.
We believe that articulating our values and accountabilities to one another reinforces that respect and provides us with clear avenues to correct our culture should it ever stray. We commit to enforce and evolve this code as our team grows.
Every one of the Brainery team is expected to work smart and be considerate of others, and contribute to a collaborative, positive, and healthy environment in which we can all succeed.
- Be supportive of staff and students, both proactively and responsively
- Be inclusive
- Be collaborative
- Be generous in both giving and accepting feedback
- Be kind
The Brainery team is committed to providing a welcoming and safe environment for all. Discrimination and harassment are expressly prohibited. Furthermore, any behavior or language that is unwelcoming—whether or not it rises to the level of harassment—is also strongly discouraged.
The Brainery values social justice programs and volunteer opportunities.
We encourage students to participate in extracurricular activities that the Brainery offers, these programs change and grow throughout the year. Some examples include:
- NEST Kenya – www.nestkenya.org – We build and maintain the website for NEST, who are dedicated to rescuing, educating and reintegrating vulnerable orphans and children from the streets and Dandora dumpsite in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Waterloo Region Track 3 Ski School – volunteer opportunities to become a ski instructor for children & youth with physical & cognitive disabilities. The program is 8 weeks every January.
- ArtShine – ArtShine instructors visit our space weekly to teach art lessons to each of our classes. www.artshine.ca
- Music Therapy – Axon Music Therapy visits our programs weekly to provide music therapy to each of our classes. www.axonmusictherapy.com
- Local professional guest speakers – we welcome local professionals to share insight into their careers, education and life experiences to help our students gain perspective and learn about interesting careers in their area of interest